Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream
"Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream" has moved to a new and better place where unicorns roam free and the layout is much slicker! CLICK HERE to redirect to the new site. Please update your links and bookmarks. If you are looking for a specific post, check the new website!!

Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream

Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream will serve as a blog for me to share my thoughts and musings, with a special emphasis on music. The music that will appear in this blog is for evaluation/sampling purposes only, and is designed to promote up and coming bands. Remember, if you like the artist(s), buy the CD! If you are the owner of a sound file and would like it removed, please contact us and we will kindly take it down.

Friday, August 31, 2007

Grace Potter & The Nocturnals

Those of you that have been reading CSV for a while know of my fondness (note: shout out to Henry) for Grace Potter & The Nocturnals, and you might imagine my excitement when I first opened up the sophomore release This is Somewhere from the bluesy-folk-rock quartet. To be frank, I wasn't completely blown away by the first listen, which was quite a surprise to me. The album has everything that would give it that punch: Grace Potter's incredible vocals (!!!), a band that can rock it out but also tone it down, and and an awesome album cover. Okay, maybe the last one doesn't mean anything, but all these factors started to seep in on subsequent listens.

The album certainly begins strongly with "Ah Mary", a more Sunday-rock track that really illustrates the band at a level of comfortableness (not complacency!). Leading into "Stop The Bus", a piano-guitar-harmonica-heavy ditty that has Potter's voice fluctuating from high intensity to a soft gentleness. My personal favorites are the less-produced Kelly Clarkson-like "Mr. Columbus" and the horn-enhanced "Mastermind" that explodes into an incredibly delightful chorus.

Grab yourself a copy of This is Somewhere.
Listen to "Mr. Columbus" (4.7/5)
Listen to "Mastermind" (4.6/5)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

So what's the deal BenG, do you like the album or not?

4:23 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

And by the way, I love that we are featuring artists that can be described as Kelly Clarkson-like! It's no secret that she is the best (and hottest) idol.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Benji said...

patrick-
I do like the album, and yes, I have no qualms to admitting to Kelly Clarkson's talent. cheers, my friend. I also love the BenG reference. Nice.

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home