Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream
"Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream" has moved to a new and better place where unicorns roam free and the layout is much slicker! CLICK HERE to redirect to the new site. Please update your links and bookmarks. If you are looking for a specific post, check the new website!!

Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream

Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream will serve as a blog for me to share my thoughts and musings, with a special emphasis on music. The music that will appear in this blog is for evaluation/sampling purposes only, and is designed to promote up and coming bands. Remember, if you like the artist(s), buy the CD! If you are the owner of a sound file and would like it removed, please contact us and we will kindly take it down.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Rilo Kiley Under the Spotlight

Coming back after a few years apart, Jenny Lewis and the gang have joined together to put together Under the Backlight. While the pitchforks and other critics engrossed in music snobbery (oh no, not here!) have been trashing the album as "too run-of-the-mill" or "too accessible", I would venture to say that this is the most delightful product to come from Rilo Kiley yet. Maybe I'm a sucker for those 70s-disco riffs, or those lazy guitars, or the sweet siren song of a one Jenny Lewis--but I have found Under the Backlight utterly enjoyable. There's nothing too complex about the formula used by RK--a lovely singer-songwriter, some indie spunk, and simple, catchy arrangements.

Some indie critics have and will label this album a "derivative", but in the end I'm not sure that's so bad. Sure, I've heard songs like "Silver Lining" before, but that's not to say I don't completely enjoy this summery, laid-back track. Tunes like "Dejalo" are clearly standouts, what with some Latino influences and Lewis' oddly sounding Spanish. Or take a listen to "Give A Little Love", which is just so sugary sweet that you're going to need some water nearby to wash it all down. Lyrically, Under the Backlight doesn't suffer either, which makes me wonder why this album hasn't received the accolades it deserves. Perhaps it's just that Rilo Kiley is creating songs that are simply less esoteric, or maybe (just maybe!) it's that their widening appeal is turning off the original fans. Well I've got a question for all the naysayers: how can can you listen to an album when your heads are stuck in the sand?

Take my word and get yourself a copy of Under The Backlight.
Not sure? Listen to "Give A Little Love" (4.6/5)
Listen to "Dejalo" (4.75/5)

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I'll agree that there are highlights on the new album, I'm going to have to disagree that "Dejalo" is one of them.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

wow. you are so far off in my opinion. this is just horrible pop music. the lyrics are cringe-worthy and the music is cheesy and over-produced. Dejalo sounds like a bad Gloria Estefan rip off and is the worst song hands down that this band has ever put out. Dreamworld and Silver Lining are ok tunes, but as a whole, this album is disappointing and forgettable.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Benji said...

glad to see there's some disagreement here, and I won't even argue about the Estefan reference (I've got no problems with her). But you're going to have to do better than making blanket statements that carry no meaning; words like "horrible", "over-produced" aren't really descriptive, nor do effectively evaluate the album. And "Dejalo" the worst song hands down? Well, I suggest you take the dunce cap off and rethink. Well, that might have been a little harsh, but if I'm going to put the energy forward to write a thoughtful review, you could at least do the same.

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post...in fact your post is now featured today in the BlogBuzz podcast. BlogBuzz is a daily podcast that features content from some of the best blogs the net has to offer. Our goal here at BlogBuzz is to introduce our audience to interesting blogs just like yours.

Check out the podcast at http://blogbuzz.podomatic.com, and let us know what you think. If you have any questions about what we do or suggestions please let us know.

Thanks,

Griffin Michaels
Program Director
BlogBuzz

P.S. Keep up the excellent work.

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rilo Kiley on Hype Machine? Come on!!!!!It used to be the home of cutting edge music, not this shit.

I respect your work as bloggers but stop posting lame music and putting it on Hype Machine.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Benji said...

pontius-
I think if you check the rest of the blog out instead of just trolling for mp3's, you might find something you actually like.

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in love with Under The Blacklight! This is so far my favorite Rilo Kiley record. I wouldn't worry about what the wardens of the indie rock prison say, they can't keep a good band down. I remember when bands were able to explore mainstream success and just enjoy the ride, now they're being treated like elected officials who can't piss off the voters. One day they'll realize that "indie" isn't a style of music, it references a record label.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

I love Dejalo! "I've got a mind if you want to waste it."

They can do no wrong in my book. Love Moneymaker (have since the moment I first heard it) and Dreamworld.

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home