Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream
"Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream" has moved to a new and better place where unicorns roam free and the layout is much slicker! CLICK HERE to redirect to the new site. Please update your links and bookmarks. If you are looking for a specific post, check the new website!!

Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream

Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream will serve as a blog for me to share my thoughts and musings, with a special emphasis on music. The music that will appear in this blog is for evaluation/sampling purposes only, and is designed to promote up and coming bands. Remember, if you like the artist(s), buy the CD! If you are the owner of a sound file and would like it removed, please contact us and we will kindly take it down.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Apologies and Magic

Being a hypocrite and no good lying cheat are two things I don't want to be. But sure enough, those are the words to describe my actions this week. It was despicable to promise more posts and grant none. So this week has to be better.

I'd like to you about one of my favorite bands, The Magic Numbers. When they came out with their debut The Magic Numbers back in 2005, I was enamored with their flowery alt-country, summery-rock-pop aesthetic. Being from the UK and all, I don't think it really helps the band gain a formidable presence in the US, but the indie scene is always looking across the pond for great acts.

And so, The Magic Numbers recently released their sophomore album, Those the Brokes, in the UK and it is expected to come to our side of town in the coming weeks. I managed to get my hands on a copy of the album (half.com is great or get an import from amazon.com). At first listen, I wasn't overly impressed by the album--I thought it sounded too much like their first album but without as much emotion. And then, I listened to it again. And again. I realized that my first impression was completely wrong. Those the Brokes is a compilation of complex emotions, simple fun, incredible harmonies, and great instrumentation. The quartet sings a sweet pop number over a jumpy guitar and some subtle bells (see "Undecided") but they also manage to pull off a ballad just as well ("Slow Down"). But if you're looking for a band that can just rock it out, look no further. "Runnin' Out" features an appropriate pounding guitar which gives the song a sense of urgency and "rockness" that is not necessarily a typical sound for the band.

GO BEARS!!!
Listen to "Runnin' Out" (4.5 / 5)
Listen to "Undecided" (4.8 / 5)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home