Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream
"Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream" has moved to a new and better place where unicorns roam free and the layout is much slicker! CLICK HERE to redirect to the new site. Please update your links and bookmarks. If you are looking for a specific post, check the new website!!

Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream

Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream will serve as a blog for me to share my thoughts and musings, with a special emphasis on music. The music that will appear in this blog is for evaluation/sampling purposes only, and is designed to promote up and coming bands. Remember, if you like the artist(s), buy the CD! If you are the owner of a sound file and would like it removed, please contact us and we will kindly take it down.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Drumroll for #10 Through #8

10. KT Tunstall-Eye to the Telescope
So you're probably wondering why I have KT on the list. Why not is really the question to be answered. KT didn't start out big, except for her sound of course. I haven't heard a female singer/songwriter who can contemplate about the mysteries of the world and still rock like the best of them! She balances her unique solid vocals with some pretty nifty guitar work to boot. Eye to the Telescope shows us two very different artists--a balladeer and a true rocker. It's the best of both worlds. KT is a real talent, and we shouldn't put her down for the fact that people actually dig her sound.
Buy Eye to the Telescope here.
Listen to "Heal Over" as part of Sandburg's Top 20 Playlist.

9. Zero 7-The Garden
This was probably one of the most anticipated albums for me over the past year. I simply adore Zero 7 and I was even more pleasantly surprised when I found that Jose Gonzalez (!!) was going to do vocals for half of the songs on The Garden. I posted about these guys here, but I think they deserve a bit more congratulations. From the tripped-out, disco-tuned, percussion-filled rendition of "Crosses" (a Gonzalez original) to the more classic-Zero 7, space-expanding, color-coded "Today" to the slightly odd "The Pageant of the Bizarre", The Garden flows incredibly well. Zero 7 target emotions-they evoke subconscious memories with their ethereal and plushy sounds. I don't know why this review has come out more pretentious than the others---I guess I'm just having a hard time explaining how much I like this album.
Buy The Garden here.
Listen to "Today" as part of Sandburg's Top 20 Playlist.

8. The Format-Dog Problems
I don't really know how I chanced upon this Tucson based band, but I'm glad I did. Dog Problems is a high-pitched, insanely catchy and pop-driven album that somehow retains a sense of intimacy despite what its sound may suggest. This is an album with big aspirations, reflecting a band with a great deal of potential. The lyrics range from the humorous to the 'self-reflectory', packaged in sweet candied melodies. Imagine Sting and The Police meets Billy Joel, except without all the drunkenness and car accidents (too soon?). Most of these songs make me just downright giddy, and I think there's definitely something to be said for happiness-inducers these days.
Buy Dog Problems here.
Listen to "Time Bomb" as part of Sandburg's Top 20 Playlist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home