Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream
"Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream" has moved to a new and better place where unicorns roam free and the layout is much slicker! CLICK HERE to redirect to the new site. Please update your links and bookmarks. If you are looking for a specific post, check the new website!!

Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream

Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream will serve as a blog for me to share my thoughts and musings, with a special emphasis on music. The music that will appear in this blog is for evaluation/sampling purposes only, and is designed to promote up and coming bands. Remember, if you like the artist(s), buy the CD! If you are the owner of a sound file and would like it removed, please contact us and we will kindly take it down.

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Laura Veirs: Saltbreakers

Live blogging has been all the rage in the blogosphere, so I've decided that I'm going to live blog the new album Saltbreakers by Laura Veirs (out in Europe already, due out April 10th in US).

[Queuing up the compact disc]

"Pink Light" (Track 1):
She's got an interesting voice, can't quite put my finger on it. The beat is kicking in now, and with some pretty awesome rhythms. I can't resist the subtle clapping, and the guitar riff paints this under-the-stars image. Okay, she's got me hooked..........

"Don't Lose Yourself" (Track 3):
A trippy drum beat with a grandiose piano background. It sounds like she's singing with herself--as if she laced two vocal tracks. I'm not as impressed with this track as the first, but at least there's a consistent sound. Not to say it's all the same, but there's something to latch on to.....

"Wandering Kind" (Track 5):
I automatically think Air upon the first chords of this song. The verses seem to be building to a pretty heavy chorus, but let's see. Yep, I was right. The chorus really gives some life to this track. I've noticed that there is a ton of nature imagery in Veirs' songs. I wonder if that's on purpose. Certainly a catchy one....

"To the Country" (Track 8):
Alright, she's bringing the strings out on this one. Oh, and now an angelic choir is kicking in. And her voice sounds transformed in this song--enhanced, as if she's really feeling it. This track is certainly more downtempo than the previous ones, but it's the most captivating and mesmerizing. Now we've got some neat drum rhythms and clapping again....Wow, this song can really only be described as magical. Oooohs and Ahhhhs for nearly two minutes--I feel like I'm swaying back and forth with choir. I want more....

"Cast a Hook" (Track 9):
Back to a faster-paced track, I think I have heard this song before in a compilation The Sound the Hare Heard. Let me check that...yea, that's right. This song is also 'hooking' me in as well, another mesmerizing track. These songs really fill up space nicely-they're nice and roomy.

Okay, so that's it. You'll have to buy Saltbreakers if you want to know more.
Listen to "To the Country" (5.2/5). Sorry, it broke the scale.
Listen to "Pink Light" (4.6/5)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home