Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream
"Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream" has moved to a new and better place where unicorns roam free and the layout is much slicker! CLICK HERE to redirect to the new site. Please update your links and bookmarks. If you are looking for a specific post, check the new website!!

Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream

Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream will serve as a blog for me to share my thoughts and musings, with a special emphasis on music. The music that will appear in this blog is for evaluation/sampling purposes only, and is designed to promote up and coming bands. Remember, if you like the artist(s), buy the CD! If you are the owner of a sound file and would like it removed, please contact us and we will kindly take it down.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

I Will Tell If You Dntel

Everybody's favorite Jimmy Tamborello side project (no, not James Figurine) Dntel has just release a new album Dumb Luck. To those of you who read this blog on a daily basis, Dntel might seem an odd choice. With my electronic days behind me, it often takes a pretty darn good electronic album to make it to the blog (not that we're that big time anyhow, but there's got to be quality control).

Anyhow, Dumb Luck is less clicks and clacks, blips and bleeps and more dreamy pop that reminds me of genre-mate Milosh. Muffled scratchy noises (almost sounding like a Didgeridoo) take background to many of the songs, and psychedelic raspy vocals simply drift over the fragile melodies. I would be lying if I said I loved the album in its entirety--there are certainly tracks (i.e. the middle ones) that are lacking, but this album hits more than it misses. "The Distance" is simply a fantastic song with a great Sunday-on-the-beach feel to it. "Rock My Boat" is the most Postal Service-esque song on the album, but it lacks that particular pop quality to it that could make it a favorite.

Overall that seems to be the bottom line with this album--almost good enough to be a Postal Service imitation. I guess it's an unfair label, seeing as that Tamborello is going to forever be tied to the mail carrier.

Either way, check out Dumb Luck.
Listen to "The Distance" (4.85/5)
Listen to "Rock My Boat" (3.8/5)

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home