Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream
"Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream" has moved to a new and better place where unicorns roam free and the layout is much slicker! CLICK HERE to redirect to the new site. Please update your links and bookmarks. If you are looking for a specific post, check the new website!!

Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream

Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream will serve as a blog for me to share my thoughts and musings, with a special emphasis on music. The music that will appear in this blog is for evaluation/sampling purposes only, and is designed to promote up and coming bands. Remember, if you like the artist(s), buy the CD! If you are the owner of a sound file and would like it removed, please contact us and we will kindly take it down.

Monday, May 07, 2007

Rufus Wainwright: A Star Released


"I always thought that the combination of my voice with Jeff Buckley's could turn any straight man gay," Rufus Wainwright told a sold-out crowd at northern Virginia's Wolf Trap last summer. Whether music has such a power, I'm not sure; I am sure, however, that Wainwright's Release the Stars is a complete representation of his beautifully soothing voice. Complementing Wainwright's voice are skillfully constructed symphonic-rock arrangements that seek to say, "this is an album you can't just listen to--you have to listen to it."

The melancholy opener, "Do I Disappoint You," is certainly not disappointing, but sets the pensive mood of the record while showing off woodwinds, brass, and string arrangements. The lead single, "Going to a Town," juxtaposes a simple piano part with a serious proclamation:

Making my own way home, ain't gonna be alone
I've got a life to lead, America
I've got a life to lead
I got a soul to feed
I got a dream to heed
And that's all I need

This album is truly a complete musical offering; there really is not a weak track. The emotive "Nobody's off the Hook" briefly reminds us of Wainwright's operatic beginnings, while the blue-grass tinged "Between my Legs" samples the well-known descending scale motif from The Phantom of the Opera. Wainwright seems to add to a generation past with the cocktail-lounge friendly "Leaving for Paris No. 2," while still staying current, as he addresses the "stars" of Hollywood in the album's title-track. Perhaps Wainwright puts it best, describing this album as an extreme deviation from his plan to write a simple, black-and-white record:

“My intentions were completely foiled,” he explains. “It was like I slipped on a creative banana and all of a sudden, arrangement after arrangement, song after song started tumbling. I don’t really know what happened.”

We can all be glad for whatever happened. Wainwright proves that there really is no substitute for musical talent coupled with a keen artistic vision.

The Report Card
Vocals: A
Lyrics: B+
Instruments: B+
Album art/Packaging: B
Release the Stars: A

Preoder the album here (for under ten bucks!)
Check out this article from Harp Magazine

Hear for Yourself
"Going to a Town"
"Nobody's off the Hook"
"Leaving for Paris No. 2"



Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Ilse said...

¡Hi! I´m a big fan of Rufus Wainwright songs. I was looking for the meaning of to be "Off the hook" (I´m from Madrid, Spain) and I found your blog. It´s very interesting, so I´ll keep reading!!

Thanks!

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home